Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Make peace with food



Chapter 7, principle 3:
My first meeting with J, she had me read this chapter. Making peace with food was going to be easy, I thought. J had me make a list of my "challenge" foods or at least the snacks that I've been craving. I did this and when I showed J my list, she made me add to it. What about candybars? What about chocolate pudding? What about hostess cupcakes? Then she told me to go out and buy all this stuff - so I did. I have to admit I was a little embarassed as I was checking out at Smiths - but then I didn't really care what the check out lady thought anyway. J also told me to order multiple sides when going out to eat - variety is key. Order more than I know I can finish so I can get used to "not cleaning my plate". Don't worry about waste, don't worry about money. Focus on the taste - only eat what I really want to and don't eat anything I don't want to.

It works - I swear. I still have lots of frozen treats in my freezer and "junk" (J would be mad at me for calling it that) food in my pantry. I may be eating foods that aren't "good for me" but I'm eating a lot less. For example, today I've eaten one Ego waffle with butter and syrup, 2 pieces of pizza, a cupcake and left over Thai food. After the Thai food, I wasn't satisfied so I dished up a bowl of ice cream and ate only half of it. Never before have I ever stopped half way through a bowl of ice cream. Because I know I'm never going to diet again and ice cream is never going to be off limits, I could stop.

WARNING: You must experience these things. From page 87: "The only way you will come to believe that you will be able to stop eating is to go through the food experience, to actually eat. This is not about knowledge of food, but rather rebuilding experiences with eating. You cannot have an eating experience through knowledge; rather, you need to go through it, bite by bite,"

Making peace with food is not as easy as I thought but I am learning by doing - Hmmm that reminds me of John 7:17.

7 comments:

Karen said...

So ummmmm what are you going to do with all that food that is unhealthy and that you are never going to eat? Huh? I'm just saying, I hate to see things go to waste. JUST KIDDING!!! I am proud of you and it looks like this is going to be a great thing. I will very likely follow suit as I watch your progress!

Ann Dee said...

I think it's a great concept but hard to put into practice (as Katy mentioned). I've been trying to do it but I'm home a lot and thus I eat--when I'm not hungry.

LMM said...

Love your blog...look forward to reading about your journey. Your blog has reminded me that I need to reexamine and recommit to the principles of IE. Thank you.

millie said...

I really believe in this way of eating. Whether or not i always follow it is another question. My husband may be great at it, but I still struggle and look forward to checking in on your blog.

C. Jane Kendrick said...

I love it. It's kinda like my friends that grew up with junk food in their house--they were the thinnest. (Though, healthiest?)
Meanwhile, those of us who never had pop tarts on demand went absolutely crazy in their presence.

Emily said...

I would love to get together with you and talk high school student body politics. I know a thing or two about student body president of 1994.

Only half of that first sentence is true. The first half. If you're a friend of cjane...

Katy said...

So emily - you know a thing or two about high school politics? Interesting ...

Yes, CJane and I are friends - we were both members of the OHVs.