Sunday, August 19, 2007

Honor your hunger


I haven't posted for awhile - it might mean that I've been struggling with Intuitive Eating or maybe it doesn't mean that at all.

Lets just say I need to post more often!

Anyway, HONOR YOUR HUNGER (Chapter 6, principle 2) ---
Although you should eat only when you are hungry, you should "honor your hunger" and eat every time your body tells you to. It's all about how you feel - if your stomach is sending signals that it is hungry then your body must need energy so HONOR YOUR HUNGER and eat. If you let yourself get too hungry you are in danger of over eating. I'll talk about the hunger and fullness chart in another post. Don't you know people who eat all day long but they never eat too much? Aren't they also skinny? I think they are intutive eaters.

This concept takes planning cause you always have to have snacks available. I usually over eat at dinner because I haven't eaten anything since lunch and that was like 5 or 6 hours ago.

Now that I'm trying to become an intutive eater, I've made a conscious effort to have a snack around 3:00 or 4:00 so I'm not starving for dinner. It helps.

I also take snacks to church and will eat cheezits or fruit snacks during Sunday School. I feel a little bit like a baby - maybe I should pack baggies of cheerios. Doesn't this make sense because kids are intutive eaters and if they need a snack mid morning or mid afternoon, then wouldn't we as adults?

I've also started to eat breakfast first thing in the morning before I do anything else. This has helped because I'm not rushed and I'm honoring my hunger.

No comments: